Thursday, May 22, 2008

Parenting Lessons

All too often, Dad runs off to work and Mom is left at home with the little one. Though both know that the other person is busy throughout the day, they don't know exactly what the other person is going through.  For us, when I get home, we sit down at the dinner table and have the typical "How was your day?" ... "Fine, how was yours?" ... "It was good."  We're both exhausted, but Avery still has two hours left in her tank.  By the time the baby goes down (which is an early 7:30 - but I'm not complaining) we're both ready for bed.  And that's where wife wants to talk about the day and husband wants to sleep (or NOT sleep, but NOT talk...).

The reason I bring this up is 1) So that you will pray for us - since this is HARD to do - and we both want to get better at communicating, and 2) To share the reason for the video below.  If we would have had a more in-depth discussion about our day, say, at the dinner table, I would have heard how many times my patient wife had to tell our daughter to stay out of dog's water bowl.  So, in filming what turns out to be quite a funny video (you need to watch it to the end), I inadvertently un-did the effort that Ashley put in to teaching our daughter.  Argh.  Like everything else in the Christian walk, easy to say - hard to do.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this.  In the event that you don't want to watch it, I will be showing it at Avery's wedding someday (sometime after she turns 40).


5 comments:

  1. That was classic. I love Ashley's comment at the end...BABE...OH MY LORD. What a patient mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. Glad to know I'm not the only one Justice. You bring me comfort. You can justify your actions by knowing you ministered to me...yeah, Ashley won't buy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the video! Thanks for sharing. I can see our family having the same water bowl issues in our future! :0)
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well finally had time to check out your great blogs. loved avery in rudy's water bowl and justice snickering quietly in the background! great to run into you at the fair. what a small world! send us an email hopebumbaca@sbcglobal.net when you get time. avery is absolutely adorable and looks like both of you! will write again. love, Hope and the Gang!

    ReplyDelete